Here are some basic food combining rules that you must follow while you plan your meals.
Food Combinations To Avoid:
1. Mint With Aerated Drinks: It is believed that peppermint must never be had along with aerated drinks because it leads to a fatal toxic food combination in the stomach.
2. Dairy products and antibiotics: Some antibiotics, including Cipro, bind to calcium, iron, and other minerals in milk-based foods. This prevents the absorption of the antibiotics, ultimately decreasing their ability to fight infections.
3. Milk With Citrus Fruits or Vegetables: Milk is on its own a difficult food product to digest. Some people also have lactose intolerance or lack of the enzyme to digest the lactose protein of milk. Now what happens when you squeeze a lemon into milk, it coagulates due to acidity. The same thing happens inside the stomach and the acidity causes heat burns and gas.
4. Starchy Food With Fruits: Why does mom tell you to have fruits at least half an hour after having a meal? It is because fruits are quick to get digested but starch which our meal invariably contains (rice, potatoes, etc.) takes a long time to digest. So this food combination makes the fruits stay in the stomach for a long time and ferment.
5. Alcohol and acetaminophen: Resist the urge to wash down your Tylenol with a cold one- your body uses the same enzyme to break down the two substances. It's generally best to put 6 hours between drinking booze and taking any medicine containing acetaminophen, including over-the-counter and prescription pain and cold medicines.
6. Proteins With Starch: Why is potato chips with fried chicken considered an unhealthy meal? Not only because it has trans fats but also because the digestive procedure for these two nutrients is different. Proteins are digested in the stomach whereas the digestion of starch takes place primarily in the small intestine. So as the proteins get digested they hold back the starch in the stomach making the food toxic.
7. Sugar With Proteins: Are you one of those who round off your meal of chicken steak with a juicy dessert? Then you must be prone to gastric problems. Sugar acts on the protein digesting enzymes and makes their action sluggish which means food takes a long time to get digested and there are chances of indigestion taking place.
8. Cereal or oatmeal with milk and orange juice: Acids in orange juice or any acid fruits destroy the enzyme that is responsible for digesting starches present in cereal. Also, acidic fruits or juices can curdle milk and turn it into a heavy mucus-forming substance. To keep your breakfast healthy, try having fruit or orange juice 30 min before the oatmeal.
9. Bananas and milk: It is said to create heaviness in the body and slows down the mind. If you are a fan of milk-based banana smoothies make sure that banana is very ripe and add cardamom and nutmeg to stimulate digestion.
10. Tea and Coffee after meals: They tend to absorb all the food materials and disrupt the acidic stomach. You might lose all the nutrients from the meal you consumed.