Aloe Vera, often considered as a miracle plant, has several health benefits. It has been widely used as a key ingredient in foods and energy drinks.
Following are the health benefits of aloe vera:
1. Treating skin conditions, such as psoriasis and acne: Aloe creams have a calming effect on the skin and have been shown to help reduce itchiness and inflammation.
2. Sunburn relief: Some people swear by aloe to calm a sunburn. You might have experienced the gel's cooling effect yourself, but the research backing up the claim that it can speed skin recovery is lacking. One small study, for instance, found aloe vera didn't have any effect on treating a sunburn when compared with a placebo.
3. Wound healing: Aloe gel may help expedite the healing process of burns or cuts on the skin.
4. Heartburn relief: Researchers found aloe vera helped lessen several symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), including heartburn, belching, and vomiting.
5. Lower blood sugar: A study found drinking two tablespoons of aloe vera juice every day for two weeks helped lower the blood sugar levels among people with type 2 diabetes. Triglyceride levels of the study participants also improved - a big deal for those with diabetes, because they're at an increased risk of developing heart disease.
6. Digestive help: Aloe latex contains aloin, which is an anthraquinone that gives aloe vera its laxative properties and may help treat constipation.