Here are tips and good practices, to consider, in order to reduce snoring :
- Avoid sleeping flat on your back. Instead, sleep on your side.
- Avoid consuming alcohol or sedatives at bedtime.
- If you are overweight, strive to lose the excess weight.
- You could also use nasal strips to widen your nostrils while you sleep.
- Avoid smoking as it could inflame the airways and increase the likelihood of snoring.
- Keep the air in your room moist as dry air could irritate or inflame the airways and exacerbate snoring.
Below are effective home remedies to consider in order to stop or reduce snoring :
Usually, the reason behind snoring is nasal congestion. To relieve the blocked air passage and reduce the annoying sound while sleeping, you must try to treat congestion first. Take some boiling water in a bowl and add a little amount of tea tree oil to it. Inhale the steam coming out of it for 8-10 minutes.
Peppermint is another potent ingredient that may help in opening up airways and facilitate a problem-free breathing. Fill a glass with water and add some drops of peppermint oil to it. Mix well and use it to gargle every night before going to bed. Avoid swallowing the solution.
To treat an inflammation of the air passage, you may use turmeric. Turmeric would not only heal the inflammation but also reduce snoring in an effective way. Pour warm milk into a glass and add about 2 tsp of powdered turmeric to it. Drink it daily half an hour before you plan to sleep.
4. Fish Oil
Increased levels of bad cholesterol in the body may lead to fat accumulation near the throat which may cause snoring. An effective way to deal with cholesterol is to take fish oil. The omega-3 fatty acids, present in fish oil, is helpful in bringing down the bad cholesterol levels and reduces snoring.