A natural diuretic is any food, or drink that cause body to produce more urine, which consequently eliminates bacteria quickly and easily. It helps to flush out toxins from our body. Diuretic foods can be helpful if you're looking to lower your blood pressure, or if you're retaining water. Some dieters also use it to help them lose weight. Removing the body of excess fluid is good for your overall health and wellbeing.
Diuretic foods help to treat many conditions like; digestion issues, hypertension, weight loss, edema (water retention), kidney stones, and UTI (Urinary Tract Infections) etc.
Following are some awesome natural diuretic foods that can be used in our daily dietary routine:
- Cranberry Juice helps to eliminate excess fluid retention. It is good for UTI. It also acts as antioxidants that help body to fight against free radicals.
- Apple cider vinegar or ACV has a number of uses. It is a natural diuretic and has been used for hundreds of years as a treatment for urinary tract infections. It supports the health of both your kidneys and bladder, but its diuretic effects are gentle. Best way to use ACV is add 3tsp in a glass of lukewarm water to help reduce bloating and flushing out excess sodium from system.
- Melons are excellent diuretic and detoxifier fruit. Their high water content not only hydrates your body but also helps you flush out toxins. They are rich source of vitamins and antioxidants so they have anti-inflammatory effect and can fight free radicals that cause damage to the cells.
- Tomatoes contain antioxidant such as lycopene, beta-carotene, vitamin C and Selenium. These antioxidants prevent the damages caused by free radicals to body tissues leading to premature aging and many chronic degenerative diseases. When these free radicals damage the walls of the blood vessels, they can cause the leakage of fluids and therefore, local swelling. They have low calories and low cholesterol making them unique for people on weight loss.
- Cucumbers are made up mostly of water and are a very hydrating vegetable. This is why they are used in many detox recipes. They keep the urinary system healthy and it is a food that can be used to help with diabetes, weight loss, and even cancer. That's because cucumbers contain antioxidants as well as minerals the body needs daily to keep functioning at its best.
- Artichoke is an excellent diuretic food that is best for improving kidney functions digestive system. These inhibit good bacteria in the intestinal tract.
- Asparagus has asparagine an amino acid which acts as an effective diuretic and has been known to treat swelling, arthritis, rheumatism, and PMS related water retention. The fiber in asparagus helps in cleaning out the GI Tract.
- Black currants are a diuretic that contains high potassium, tannins and Vitamin C. These are useful to treat high blood pressure, rheumatism, soothe potential inflammation and boost immunity.
- Beets being an excellent diuretic are also a rich source of antioxidants and have a specific antioxidant betalain which is found in few select foods. It helps to melt down the floating body fats, especially near the liver and kidneys.
- Carrots contains good amount of carotene that boosts the metabolic rate of the body and removes fat deposits.
- Celery seed speeds up uric acid excretion and increases the rate of urine production. These are the means by which celery detoxifies the body. When excess uric acid crystals collect in the joint, as in the case of gout, celery seeds can be particularly helpful. Celery is specially recommended for treating gout edema, bladder disorders, cystitis and other kidney problems because of its diuretic actions.
- Figs have several properties - antioxidant, digestible, laxative, and diuretic and a blood cleanser.
- Lettuce helps in metabolism and flushes out toxins.
- Papayas have diuretic, laxative and refreshing properties.
- Garlic is an effective blood purifier and is also effective in treating blood pressure. It provides cleansing effect and acts a diuretic. Try to use garlic in all cooking process. If possible try to consume raw garlic more by adding it in some healthy drinks like buttermilk or in any other preparations.
- Strawberries have high diuretic properties and are useful in prevention of fluid retention.
- Lemons have a powerful diuretic and cleansing effect on our body. This is the reason it's been used in most detoxifying drinks. They are also often used to treat UTI. It cleanses your Urinary tract and corrects any imbalances. Try drinking a glass of warm lemon water each morning to cleanse and detoxify yourself.
- Raw Onions has many healing properties. One of the most well-known properties of onions is their diuretic ability, which is why onions are highly recommended to patients who suffer from kidney issues, gout or hyperuricemia, kidney stones, edema, or hypertension. Mainly for their diuretic effect, but also for their high content of water and fiber, but low amounts of fat and sugar, onions are essential to any diet.
- Natural Diuretics Tea like Green Tea, Stinging Nettle Tea, Dandelion Leaf Tea, Tulsi Tea, Ginger Tea, etc. are helpful in treating Heart Failure, Edema, High blood pressure, Kidney and Liver Diseases, Weight Loss and any kind of stress.
Now you know that by adding natural diuretic herbs and foods to your diet will be able to treat fluid retentions and other health issues. However, if you are deciding to go with diuretic supplements then take it only for few days as some natural diuretic foods can interact with certain diuretic medicines. If you are already taking some diuretic medication along with natural diuretics, always consult with online medical doctor as some herbs and supplements interaction with certain medicine can worsen medical conditions.
Eat Healthy! Stay Healthy!